Friday, February 17, 2012

Underage drinking in Japan and some blood type fun


I took this photo the other day.  I liked it when I took it because the snow was blowing across the ground forming drifts around the signs.  

I have been attending the language corner at the International Student Center(ISC) of Hokudai.  When I went yesterday there not many attenders so we all talked together in one discussion group.  I asked why so many of my Japanese friends post their blood type on their Facebook profiles.  They explained that your blood type is seen as a type of horoscope that can predict your personality and possibly your future.  We took turns trying to guess each others blood type.  You can see more about this on the Wikipedia article.  One of my Japanese friends (who is type AB) states that AB type people have traits of both type A and B combined.  I have to admit that I had thought the posting of your blood type on Facebook was sharing too much of your medical info.  I can understand now why sharing your blood type is so common here, but I still don't plan to post my blood type on Facebook.


I also asked the language corner group about underage drinking and general trouble making in Japan.  One of my friends in the discussion group said that he decided to not go to a university near his hometown because it was famous for its drug culture.  Anther friend said that she drinks even though she is under the legal drinking age (in Japan this is 20.)  Apparently after you graduate high school it is common for everyone to start drinking even though they are under the legal drinking age.  Many stores do not even card the underage students when they go to get alcohol.  One of the students told us that her father told her she should start training herself to be able to drink more alcohol so that when she graduates college and gets a job she is prepared to go drinking with her co-workers.  

I asked them about other crimes like vandalism and theft that were common at my university.  They stated adamantly that they would not steal.  I got the impression that theft would be a crime of great shame.  On the other hand drinking alcohol is almost necessary to fit in with the group.  It is used as a social lubricant.  I found all of this very fascinating.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)



3 comments:

  1. The blood type stuff is fascinating - especially as it's been used by the Nazis. I wouldn't have thought a culture that had experienced racism would welcome the blood typing/horoscope sort of thing.

    I'd heard about the drinking as a problem for a recovering alcoholic business friend. He had a hard time figuring out how to handle drinking at business lunches. I don't remember how he resolved it.

    and today, I learned about shoving older Japanese women aside to get a chance to pay for your groceries. Are you experiencing this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pushing or shoving here. Everyone is so polite I have not seen any shoving in Sapporo. The grocery lines are pretty much like grocery lines everywhere. I did see something fascinating at the back of the local grocery store. There is a door at the back of the store that leads to the warehouse, or employee break room, or whatever is back there. When the store employees go through this door they first turn to face the center of the store and bow deeply before going out the door. I think it is a bow to show respect to the costumer before taking leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe if you did a little acting and looked like a little old lady (wig and twisted, tiny posture? hide your shoes?) you'd have a better idea. I bet no one dares to shove a 6 foot 3 inch American around. Maybe Bre is a better one to ask? She could probably impersonate a little old woman a lot better than Kyle, now I think about it, but Kyle is a great actor if he so chooses!

      Delete