Monday, March 12, 2012

Cross-country skiing

We went back to Takino last weekend for some cross-country(X-C) skiing.  We had a great time.  It was very sunny, which we were not expecting.  In hindsight some sunglasses would have been helpful.


Here Bre is ready to go.  Zoom Zoom!


I see in this photo that I managed to coordinate my hat and pants.


Catherine Chague-Goff, a visiting professor from Austrailia came with us.


Catherine and Bre are feeling good at 1.5 kilometers.


We did the 6k Nousaygi ko-su or Nousagi course.  It took us just over 2 hours, meaning we were not very fast.  There were a bunch of skiers who were going much faster than us.
[interjection from Bre-- it took Catherine and I two hours; Kyle skied the 6km course much faster than we did]





There were several points on the course where there was a steep downhill.  This sign is warning about the downhill section ahead.  Skiing down a hill on X-C skis is quite different from downhill skis.  They are much harder to steer.  I fell down when I went too fast down a hill.


Like all good racetracks they have a finish line!  ゴール = Go-ru  (aka Goal)

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

1 comment:

  1. I take it you don't think of bringing sunglasses, even when you are schussing along in the snow - weather has been dark in most of the other pictures - so glad you are getting out and about and sliding on the snow! Bre - the fall when you're going too fast is known as a butt check and an important piece of a cross country (or any kind of) skier's repretoire...I think I didn't spell that right...

    ReplyDelete