Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream with Peaches

It has been hot in Sapporo.  Bre and I decided to make ice cream last night.


We found a homemade ice cream recipe that does not require an ice cream machine.  After our first trial I learned that it is too sweet for me.  I cut the sugar in half.  Now it is pretty good.


Vanilla Ice Cream recipe

2 Tbs sugar (I prefer 1 Tbs sugar)
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine in a pint sized plastic bag and seal.

1/2 cup salt
about 1/2 gallon of ice cubes.

Combine salt and ice in a gallon size ziplock bag.  Carefully place the ice cream mix in the larger gallon bag so that it has ice on both sides.  Shake for 5-15 minutes until the ice cream is hard.

Make sure to get the salt off the ice cream bag before opening, or it may taste salty.

For those who prefer a metric measuring system you can find easy conversions here.


Hokkaido cream.  See those Japanese lessons paid off, I can read Katakana!


We found some very ripe peaches at the grocery store for a discount.  They were delicious.


Here is Bre peeling one of the peaches.  I was told by one of my Japanese friends that Americans don't peel their peaches.  Really?  Do any of you eat your peaches without peeling them first?


The Vanilla.


Here is the bag of ice cream mix.  I squeezed out most of the air before sealing the bag.


Bre is measuring out the salt in this photo.  The salt combines with the ice cubes to make it really cold.  Cold enough to freeze your fingers if you aren't careful.  We used mittens to handle the cold bag.



Here is the ice cream after 10 minutes of shaking and rolling.  It is frozen!



Squeezing out the ice cream.


Bre is blowing on her hands to warm them up after holding the cold ice cream.



And here is the final product.  A tasty treat for a hot day.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

4 comments:

  1. steve doesn't like to peel peaches and we have all these fresh, off the tree, unsprayed peaches so what the heck, why peel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only peel peaches for shortcake or something like that (ice cream topping...). But most varieties do need to be defuzzed on a shirttail or under running water to really enjoy the peach. (Now I think of it I usually shirttail a really ripe peach in the garden, then mostly peel it with my teeth and eat the peel first...)

    What a brilliant way to freeze ice cream! I can see doing it for a party, two or three to a bag. (I can see my granddaughter dancing on it to squish -- whee!) My mom used to freeze in ice cube trays without the cube maker part (any shallow dish) and periodically dump out into a mixer bowl and beat. Works great for the lemon milk sherbet, ice cream was kind of grainy.

    You'll need to cut these down. I get the little buffet cans of evap in an Asian grocery so imagine you can get them there -- "can" here is the regular US big size--

    Reni's ice cream recipe:
    1 can evaporated milk(unsweetened, not sweetened condensed)
    1 quart half and half
    Enough sugar to make it sweet (about 3/4c to my taste)
    Enough vanilla to make it taste good (2 tsp or more)

    Adding milk solids makes ice cream smoother and sweetens it a bit (less table sugar). I've used powdered milk with milk and a little half and half (a quart worth of NFNI, about 1/3c).

    This works with any sour citrus that has juice, get one fruit with a good-tasting rind though. You can mix with sweeter juice -- I suppose mandarins are cheaper than oranges there?

    Lemon Milk Sherbet
    Mix juice and grated rind of 3 lemons (about 1/3 -- 1/2 cup)
    1 1/2 cups sugar (or 1 cup... or...)

    Add gradually to 1 cup milk, then add about 2 1/2 more cups milk (total 3 1/2 c or to fill line in automatic freezer)
    The curdled look will disappear in freezing)(maybe)

    The less sugar the faster these freeze (yay).

    *************

    Those look like wonderful peaches... wonder where they were grown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe! I am not sure where they were grown. I believe they were grown in Japan, not imported. Importing fresh peaches would be difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was growing up you only peeled the peach if you were going to use it in cooking. Since being married to someone who does not like to eat the skins of any fruit, I peel them.

    ReplyDelete