Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shakotan Peninsula with HUISA

Yesterday we went out to the Shakotan Peninsula with HUISA (Hokkaido University International Student Organization).  We started out at Shimamui Beach.  It is a stony beach with many partly eroded pillars of rock rising out of the sea.


Here is a panorama photo of Shimamui beach with many of the other HUISA trip participants.




The water was very clear and there was lots of marine life to watch.  I accidentally kicked an anemone when I went swimming with my friend Anton.  Good think it wasn't one of the many sea urchins!  I also saw many hermit crabs, snails, mussels, and starfish.



Here is one of the starfish out of the water.  It is very brightly colored.  Anton found a starfish that was digesting something.  When he picked it up it's stomach was sticking out, but it quickly pulled it back in.



After the beach we went on to Kamui-Misaki.  Kamui-Misaki is a narrow peninsula with a lighthouse on the end.  Unfortunately due to landslides the path to the lighthouse is now closed.


Photo credit to Anton for this photo of Bre and me by the sign for the lighthouse trail.




The last stop on our trip was the Nikka whiskey factory in Yoichi.

I like the sign saying,"The legend of whisKy to you."  I think it means that if you buy a single malt whiskey you will be purchasing the legend of whiskey.  I also like how every K in the sign is a capital K for no apparent reason.  The room indicated by the sign had a very pleasant whiskey smell.  I never thought that I liked the smell of whiskey until I went into that room.  In addition to the little bottles of whiskey that they were selling they were also storing hundreds of barrels of whiskey, which is probably what gave the room its smell.



They had this funny little scene of two dolls drinking whisky together.


Here Anton and Bre are at the tasting room trying out the apple brandy blended whiskey.  It turned out to be our favorite.  However tasting whiskey can be a very intoxicating experience so we only tried two other flavors.


On a different note, I have noticed that this is the 100th blog posting on Kyle-and-Bre-in-Japan.  It is amazing to me to think that we have managed to write 100 times.  I have recently come to calling Kyle-and-Bre-in-Japan "Kabij" (sounds like cabbage).  Way to go Kabij!

If any of our loyal readers have a blog request please let me know.  I'll write about anything (within reason).  Our time in Japan is nearing an end.  We will be returning to America in November.  So if you have a request don't delay in dropping me a line.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

No comments:

Post a Comment