Monday, April 2, 2012

Moving day

Yesterday was moving day for Kyle and I.  We're very excited to be out of our old place and into the new one.

With so few things to pack, it went very quickly.  I was the official photographer of the event, so don't expect Kyle-quality photos.  But these will give you an idea of what our lives were like for the last two days.

We did some packing on March 31st, and little bit of unpacking today, April 2nd.  But most of the action happened all in one day...  no foolin'  (ha ha, my little joke about April Fool's Day).

 
Kyle packs our clothes

 The main room in the old place, mostly packed.

The bedroom packed, except for Kyle's ties and my sweatshirt.

Kyle takes a break.

All out, except for our coats

I brought all of our bags and boxes to the door and Kyle carried everything to the front of our building.  Tanioka-san arrived with his car just as we were bringing the last bag downstairs.  All of our things exactly fit in his car (I forgot to take a photo--whoops!)...  but we didn't fit. 

I walked and Kyle bicycled to our new place and met Tanioka-san there.

Our new place feels so much more like home...  so much more welcoming.  This is the living room/office.

This is facing the kitchen/dining room from the living room (it's all one space)

Kyle puts dishes away.

Almost done unpacking.  You can see that we re-arranged the living room a little bit so the couch wouldn't be so close to the window.  And so we can use one of the bookshelves as a pantry...  I can't really reach the kitchen cabinets very easily.


And now we're all moved in.  The internet works.  The heat/water/electricity works.  Happiness.

 -Bre (and Kyle)

Below is a photo of the view out of our apartment window as of 4/7/2012, or as we write it in Japan 2012.4.7.


8 comments:

  1. Bre and Kyle: pictures of moving look very familiar. Just like last October/Nov when you moved from your Seattle apt.
    your digs look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, seems like a mirror image of the flat I stayed in, with same furniture. Nice and sunny. Kyle looks tall compared to the low-riding counters and furniture -- I had a hard time sometimes with this... make sure to take care of your back.

    The thing I liked about your old flat compared to this style is that in these flats, the bathroom is in the (unheated) vestibule -- is that true for you? At least winter is over for now.

    Happy housewarming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering if the chairs and tables were as small as they looked or if Kyle and grown another foot or two...

    And why, if the Japanese tend to be short, are the kitchen cupboards too high for our Bre?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - especially when I think of what it will take to move me the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty nice little place! What's the view out the window like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chairs are shorter than what you might find in America, but at this point they seem pretty normal to me. It is true that there is a mystery about why the cabinets are so tall. Some of the shelves in them are difficult for me to reach. I can't imagine an average Japanese person reaching them without a stool. There are a few Japanese who are my height, but the average height is definitely shorter. According to Wikipedia the average height in Japan for a man is 5'7", and for a woman 5'2".

    The view out the windows is of the snowy yard, beyond that there are some trees, a arterial street, and the beginning of the Hokudai Campus. If I look in the right spot I can see the horses. Hokudai has some type of equestrian program and there is a barn and arena near our apartment. I'll add a photo of the view shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I find reading this article a joy. It is extremely helpful and interesting and very much looking forward to reading more of your work.. studio city moving companies

    ReplyDelete