Sunday, June 10, 2012

Comparing Apples to リンゴ

I was asked the other day what items I have found to be expensive in Japan.  I spent some time thinking about it.  I am not really sure if it is more expensive or less expensive to live in Japan compared to Seattle where I was living before.  There are certainly some things in Japan which are more expensive than in the US, but the opposite is also true.  There are things in the US that are more expensive than they are in Japan.

One example of a thing that is more expensive in Japan than the US is the apples.  The Japanese word for apple is リンゴ, pronounced ringo.  It sounds like gringo without the first "g".  Apples are not commonly grown in Japan, so they must be imported.  The importing increases the price.  Here is a photo at the grocery store of imported apples.  The price, at 195 yen for one apple or two for 380 yen translates at the current exchange rate (as of June 10th, 2012) into dollars as $2.45 for one or $4.77 for two.


In the US I ate apples frequently.  Because they are more expensive in Japan I don't eat them as frequently here.  There are other foods that are cheaper in Japan.  I can find things like Persimmons, Nori or sushi for less money at a Japanese grocery store than in the US.


Here is a row of sushi at the grocery store, ready for you to take home for lunch or dinner.


Here is a liter of milk for sale for 145 Yen.  This is $1.82 at the current exchange rate.  A liter is equal to 1.05668 quarts.

Back to the original question.  Is food more expensive in Japan than the US?  Yes and no.  Eating a standard American diet in Japan is expensive however there are plenty of affordable options for food.  We have found it is quite easy to find new Japanese foods to enjoy that are more affordable.  If you are willing to try new things Japan has lots of great foods at reasonable prices.  My actual expenditures on food have dropped in Japan.  In the US I was spending around $400 or 32000 Yen per month/per person on food.  In Japan I am now averaging $300 or 24000 Yen per month/per person on food.  I think this difference is mainly because I am eating out less and cooking at home more.  The price of food in Japan has not had a significant effect.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

2 comments:

  1. Hello.

    I think RINGO in japanese supermarket is all made in Japan. Japanese fruits is very different from these in foreign contries, RINGO(apple), MIKAN(orange), BUDO(grape), SUIKA(water melon),,,,

    Typical case is cherries. Japanes cherries are very very different from american cherries. It very very expensive but tasty. Japanese cherries are now in season. Please enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try out Japanese cherries.

    Cheers,

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete