Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sapporo Art Park in Summer

Another trip to the Sapporo Art Park.  I have now been there in 3 seasons: Winter, Spring and Summer.  It was a sunny day when we went to the Art Park.  There were only a few other visitors.  We started out in the Way to the Hidden Garden by Dani Karavan.  It is a seven part sculpture, though I have only included photos of the Sundial Place, Water Channel and Cone.  We also visited the Hidden Garden referred to in the name.





This sculpture is called You're My Chair, I'm Yours.  It is by Fukuda, Shigeo.  It is very tempting to try to become part of the human chair, however after the improved translation by one of our readers of a sign in the blog post from my spring visit, I now know I am not supposed to climb on the sculptures.  Thanks for clarifying the mysterious "Don't rise to the work."  I resisted the temptation this time.









This sculpture has grown on me over time.  It is Mirage by Toru Suzuki.  He is intentionally incomplete.  The incomplete nature of the sculpture gives me space in my imagination to create many different possibilites.



I took this self portrait in a reflective tube at 1.9.8.5 Intellectual Depression by Kazuo Yuhara.


This sculpture is called Man and Woman.  It is by Gustav Vigeland.


This sculpture is called Girl Gliding Through the Branches of a Tree.  It is also by Gustav Vigeland.  There is a whole series of his sculptures on display at the Art Park.  I like how the Girl Gliding sculpture seems like a tree nymph flying through her home.



This sculpture is called Portlandia.  It was created by Raymond Kaskey.  It is a replica, or near replica of the Portlandia sculpture in Sapporo's sister city Portland, Oregon.  I like the shape of this sculpture close up where I was able to limit the portion of the sculpture that is in focus.




That's all for now.

-Kyle (and Bre)

1 comment:

  1. fun to see this is another season! So glad we sat on the sculpture while we were still ignorant!

    ReplyDelete