Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Exchange Yen to Dollars - buy in Sapporo!



I am getting ready for a brief trip back to the US.  I wanted to buy some US Dollars in preparation for the trip.  When I moved to Japan I remember how I felt like I was getting a bad rate buying Yen in the US.  The Seattle Travelex office that I visited offered me a rate of 70 Yen to the dollar.  At the time the exchange rate was actually around 77.5 Yen to the dollar.  This meant the fee I was charged was around 10.71% for the privilege of buying Yen at the Seattle branch of Travelex.

With this initial experience of buying foreign currency I was worried that it would be expensive to buy US dollars in Japan.  I was amazed at the rate I was offered by the Travelex office in Sapporo.  I was offered a rate of 80.905875 Yen to buy a dollar.  At the moment the exchange rate is around 79.2707095.  This means the Sapporo branch of Travelex only charged about 2.02%!


                                            Seattle November 2011             Sapporo June 2012

Exchange rate                     $1= 77.5                                     79.2707095=$1

Actual Rate at Travelex      $1= 70.0                                     80.905875=$1

Difference                            7.5 per $1 or about 10.71%       1.65 per $1 or about 2.02%


Based on my limited info I can say it was a much better deal to buy currency in Sapporo than Seattle.



Disclaimers
I am not an expert in international currency exchange.  This blog is intended for entertainment only and not as actual advice.  I don't have the receipt from the purchase in Seattle, so I am relying on memory for the information about the rate the Travelex store offered me in Seattle.  I don't have enough data to say if it is more favorable for travelers making currency purchases to make those purchases in Japan or the US.

I used Wikipedia and Google Search to fine the exchange rates of Yen/Dollar.

That's all for now.

-Kyle (and Bre)

No comments:

Post a Comment