Sunday, January 15, 2012

Teine Ski Trip

We returned to Teine last Saturday.  The weather was pretty good except for the cold wind at the top of the mountain.  The visibility was much better.  The group was (from left to right) Bre, Adit, Jody and Kyle (not pictured).


Here is a view of the quad chairlift.  It has a cover that comes down to keep you out of the elements with only your feet and skis hanging out.  The summit of the mountain is at the top of this lift.


 Here is a view of the Olympic torch from the '72 Winter Olympics.

Here you can have a first person view from the chairlift going up.  This chairlift was remarkable for how close to the ground it kept you.

 We also saw this Olympic sign from the gondola.
 Here is a photo of Adit at the top.  If you look to the left you can see the city of Sapporo.
 Here is a photo of Jody excited to ski through the trees.

And here is Bre basking in the sunshine and warmth.  Just kidding, it was really cold at the top of the mountain.  The weather report said temperature at the top of the mountain including windchill was -22 degrees Celsius, for our American readers that is -7.6 Fahrenheit.


Here is a view through the trees where Jody and I later skiied.  It was very pretty with the windblown snow and the sun.


For lunch we stopped at the small lodge at the summit of the mountain.  Bre and I both got the same soup with vegetables, soba noodles, and a slice of egg.  I had the hot chocolate and Bre had the tea.  It is a perfect meal for a cold day of skiing.  Bre tried to imagine what the food is like at a ski area in the US.

You may also notice that the photo is foggy.  Coming inside from the cold made the camera lens (and everyone's glasses) fog up.


Here is a view of the lodge on the summit from outside.  It had some very large icicles and snow piles.


The most exciting part of the trip didn't get any photos at all.  Jody collided with a small tree when we were skiing through the woods.  She stated repeatedly that she was OK, nothing broken.  I noticed that she was lying on her back with her head downhill and her feet uphill.  Her glasses were broken but strangely her goggles didn't seem to have any damage at all.  Her goggles were pushed up on her forehead and her face was half covered in snow.  Jody had some bruises and scrapes from the collision.  I helped her stand up and go down the mountain to the first aid station.

Jody told me to go on skiing for the last hour by myself, so I left her near the first aid station.  I was very surprised to see Jody just 30 minutes later, ski below me while I rode the chairlift.  I was too surprised to even think of what to say.  So I guess she recovered from the fall.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

3 comments:

  1. I used to make apple pie that was sold at the Halfway House at Teton Village. The other offering was chili. Hot chocolate, coffee and candy bars optional. Your Japanese soup is probably a lot easier to ski with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, chili was/is one of the best, cheapest things you could buy at an American ski area, on a budget. I was always on a budget so tended to bring my own food. Definitely hot soba or ramen or udon (soup) is a good way to go for ski lunch, Japan has that one nailed. On this particularly cold day, the hot chocolate really hit the spot, too. Kyle, that egg-looking thing I think is made from fish paste... (I asked my friend Amanda last time we had it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't imaging eating anything except noodle soup while skiing. I believe you that it must be true... but hot soup is just so perfect.

    ReplyDelete