Saturday, May 26, 2012

The grass is growing

One of the more surprising things that Kyle and I have learned about Japan is the difference between Japanese and American's attitudes towards grass.

In the U.S., grass is regularly attacked with a lawnmower to keep it short.  So far this spring, I have seen two lawnmowers and a couple weed-whackers.  A week or two ago, some of the undergrowth near my office was cut down with weed-whackers (but only near the main street through campus).  Friday, the grass at the apartment building next door was cut and someone also cut a path to a little garden at our apartment building.

Most of the grass in the city has been healthily growing for two months now.


Above is the grass just outside my office.  It comes up halfway on the bike tires.


To the left in this picture you can see where the undergrowth was cut down with weedwackers.  Just after the landscaping work was down, the ground was brown dirt.  Now it has a faint green hue of new growth.


Here is the grass outside our apartment door.


And the path cut into the grass to the yard in front of the building.


Our yard is totally overgrown.  At first we thought it might be fun to play frisbee, but that doesn't seem possible now.  The ground is too uneven, and the grass comes up to my knees.




Kyle and I went for a walk last night.  Here I am looking down into a creek.


Much of the nearby creek is overgrown with Japanese knotweed... familiar to us since the last place we lived in Seattle also had a creek that was overgrown with knotweed.



Kyle had fun taking pictures of himself in the reflection of my sunglasses.



And finally- a beautiful wisteria that we found on our walk.

That's all for now,
-Bre (and Kyle)

1 comment:

  1. Gee, in general, I thought I didn't fit so well in Japan because I am not particularly organized or tidy... but sounds like my back yard would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete