Monday, December 12, 2011

Frog Education

I had a chance to talk with my Japanese friend, Maiko, today.   She explained some of the questions I have been asking in my blog about Japan.  One of the questions was why all the construction barrier animals.  According to Maiko, only a few years ago there were no construction barrier animals.  Then there started to be frogs.  The word for frog in Japanese (according to my Tuttle Pocket Japanese Dictionary) is Kaeru.  However Kaeru also has other meanings.  It also means "goes home, goes back, returns, leaves."  In other words the frog is a pun to say go back, stay away from the construction area.  After the frogs the other construction barrier animals quickly followed along.  Unfortunately there is no clever pun in the word monkey or elephant.

Kaeru - the frog pun

Maiko also explained some of her staple foods and they include miso soup, rice, and Nattō.  She would not go so far as to say these are staple foods for all Japanese, but I found it interesting.  I have tried Nattō, and I have to say it is a very different from American food.  It has a flavor and texture that is very unique.  I do not personally like it.  However I have heard a saying about nattō, that you know you are truly Japanese when you enjoy Nattō.  Thanks for helping me out Maiko!

-Kyle (and Bre)

No comments:

Post a Comment