Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Kagami mochi

For Christmas Bre and I had some friends over for brunch.  They gave us a gift of Kagami mochi.  It literally means mirror rice cake, a traditional Japanese New Year decoration.  Bre assembled the Kagami mochi while I took photos to document the event.  We were also given this printout explaining about Kagami mochi.  I have included the link here to the Wikipedia page about Kagami mochi.



 An important part of the Kagami mochi is the daidai, a Japanese bitter orange.




 It sits on a stand called a sanpō, over a sheet of paper called a shihōbeni which is supposed to ward off fires from the house for the following years. 
  Sheets of paper called gohei folded into lightning shapes similar to those seen on sumo wrestlers belts are also attached.






I told my mother about the Kagami mochi and she told me that mochi was the first solid food that I ate as a baby.  I am looking forward to trying the mochi.

Happy New Year!

-Kyle (and Bre)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't manage to decorate it so beautifully. The mochi I made was from brown sweet rice, pressure cooked and then pounded with a big wooden pounder til sticky and smooth. After it cooled it could be cut into shapes and baked or fried or boiled, you loved it any way. Baked squares was my favorite: the squares would puff up, the outer crust would be crisp and brown, inside was sweet and soft - sort of like a well toasted marshmallow.

    ReplyDelete