Saturday, December 24, 2011

Skiing on the Emperor's Birthday

Bre, Tanya and I went skiing yesterday (12/23) which is also the birthday of the Emperor of Japan.  It is a national holiday so there were lots of people who took the day off to go skiing.  The weather was not very good.  It snowed and the wind was strong with gusts powerful enough to pick up the snow and make whiteout conditions.  We had a good time anyway.  I took a few photos which you can see below. 

The red building houses the main gondola lift.

In the panorama photo you can see the gondola.  When the wind would gust really strongly the gondola would temporarily close down.  Almost every time I took the gondola it was very crowded.  There would be a line down to the stairs (the glass enclosure on the front of the building) leading to the gondola.  However, I did hear from Tanya that she took the lift once by herself near the end of the day and that the wind gusts cause the gondola to swing much more with one person in it than when it has the usual 4-8 people.


The photo below was actually a time when some of the clouds cleared and you could tell where the sun was. 

 In this panorama you can get a better sense of the crowd waiting in line to get on the gondola.


Here is a 2 minute video that I put together of the day.  I edited out most of the blowing wind sounds.  It doesn't have a crash, but you can see Bre's skiing improve throughout the day.  I did manage to crash once when goofing off, but tragically there are no videos or photos to share.

On an unrelated note to the skiing adventure my friend Anton shared this funny sign.  It reminds me of some of the other English signs I have seen around town which have been translated incorrectly.  You can tell what it is supposed to mean, but something was lost.  Or perhaps you are supposed to throw away your garbage to the tenant. 


That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

3 comments:

  1. there's a job opportunity - writing signs in English - although I kindof like the Japanese variations on English...takes a little thinking but it does make sense!

    Braving the winter, Bre looks much improved! Now remember to bend zee knees but variations in zee bend allow the knees to relax and facilitate turning...

    I notice you can't tell who's Japanese and who's American or Russian or anything else in that sort of weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The panorama's are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After posting this last photo of the questionable English I got a question from one of my Japanese friends. He was asking what part is incorrect in the photo. My response is below.


    I will try to explain why the sign is not correct. It says:


    Here is a garbage station only for the apartment house. Please do not throw away garbage to one other than the tenant. It notifies the police when discovering it.


    The second sentence is saying to throw away garbage to the tenant. It is implying that you should throw your garbage away at the tenant. I am sure this is not what the tenant would want, to have other people throw their garbage at him/her. What it is supposed to say is that the garbage area is only for the use of the tenants.


    The last sentence has a confusing subject. I can't tell what it refers to. Who or what is it? A better sentence would be something like misuse of the garbage area should be reported to the police.


    I hope that helps!



    In response to this another Japanese friend told me the following:


    The last sentence is (a) very Japanese like sentence. In Japanese we omit the subject often so I think this"it" refers the action of throwing and writer want to use this is as the object. I can easily imagine how the writer struggle when he write this. So, I agree (with) you it is very funny!

    ReplyDelete