Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First Snow in Sapporo

Last night was the first snowfall in Sapporo.  I took these photos walking into work with Bre this morning. The first one is of a side street near our house.  In the distance is a fence that surrounds the racetrack.  There are horse races there, though probably not any more this year now that it has snowed.

 There were a few hardy/foolhardy bikers out.  Biking in the snow looks difficult.
 There was a gust of wind that blew some of the snow off the trees as I took this photo.

 This is looking the other direction down the same lane of poplar trees.  The mountains to the West of the city look very impressive with the telephoto lens.


 The sheep are normally lying down and resting in the morning when we walk by.  Today they were all standing to avoid the snow.  I hope they get some place more sheltered to stay when the snow gets deep.


 Here is another gust of wind blowing the snow off the trees.
 This is my favorite photo of the day, perhaps my favorite photo of the whole time I've been in Sapporo.  The lighting, the composition, the little bit of snow in the air, I think this photo is great.



 All the bikes that were left outside now look like this.  Bre and I left our bikes under the covered bike storage area at our apartment.
 Here is Bre all bundled up for the cold and the snow.
 This is the main city hospital.  It is just to the south of us.  It looks like any big hospital from the outside.

 Looking at the size of that snow plow I would say that Sapporo does prepare for snow.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful set of photos!!!

    Please send out the gorgeous snow and trees and biker photo and the still pond with snow and bench on your daily photos so I can save them.

    Also the telephoto of the mountains.

    When Jared and I visit I want to take a trip into those mountains.

    Kyle, I hate to think you might get a job someday and abandon this blog! It makes my day, every day. Sometimes I save it for a bedtime story, sometimes I can't wait and read it for breakfast...

    Sending love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle
    Your pictures are wonderful! Thank you for continuing your blog nearly every day. Sapporo looks beautiful. We are gearing up for snow here in Whatcom County. 24-40 inches of new at Baker yesterday/today and the ski area opening tomorrow. We might get a dusting, but nothing expected to stick.
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow makes me so excited! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete