Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Turkey Day!

Bre and I went for a walk yesterday to the cheap grocery store.  It is on the East side of Sapporo, and we live on the west side, so it took about 45 minutes.  Wednesday was a holiday here.  It was a labor thanksgiving day.  According to Japanguide.com:

November 23 (national holiday)
Labour Thanksgiving Day (kinro kansha no hi):
A national holiday for honoring labour. 


I think something may be lost in the translation because I am not sure what that means.  Maybe it is a day to be thankful you have a job, or perhaps a day to be thankful that others have jobs.  Perhaps it is a labor rights day like May Day/International Workers Day in other parts of the world.

Anyway these photos are just things I saw along the walk to the store.








 Here is a neutral zone in the middle of the intersection.  I guess if nobody goes into the shaded area there will not be an accident.  It makes as much sense as all the dashed lines we had in Seattle.


 I don't know who this is supposed to be in the photo below so I made up a story to go with him.  He is Waterdrop, the safety officer for the water utility reminding you to look up at constructions sites and watch for falling objects.  His eyes remind me of beans.  His antennae remind me of a space alien.

I should have a caption contest based on him.  Whoever comes up with the best caption for this photo will get to choose what I discuss for Sunday's blog posting.  All entries for the contest must be posted as comments to this blog posting by 12pm Sat in this timezone (Japan).




I hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving!  I am thankful to have so many readers (as of this posting the blog has been viewed 1481 times), sunshine in winter, and a bicycle.

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

3 comments:

  1. That water droplet guy looks a little like he's doing Travolta's famous move from "Saturday Night Fever".

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reddy Waterdrop?

    Where does Sapporo's electricity come from?

    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know where Sapporo's electricity comes from. I think some of it is natural gas based on the gas company's website.

    ReplyDelete