Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend shopping adventure with Olga

On Saturday Olga took us shopping at some discount stores further from Campus.  The photo below is of the second hand store.  If you look closely you can see the name Second Street and a 2 inside a recycle symbol.

 We were looking for a rice cooker and found this one at the second hand store.  However the one we ended up buying was about the same price and brand new at a different store.
 The photo below is from near the discount butcher shop that Olga took us to.  I wish I had taken some photos from inside the shop.  It was tiny with huge tables of meat.  Some of the meats I could recognize, and some I could not.  I think I saw pigs feet, tounge, lungs, all types of beef, pork, and chicken.  There was also a team of 5 butchers in the back processing meat in a room that was tiny, maybe 10' by 10'.

 The next three photos are of the food that we got on our shopping adventure.  We made a noodle soup with vegetables and meat.  It was very tasty.


 I had a request for a photo of me next to a tiny Japanese car for scale.  Here you go!  Cars in Japan are interesting.  There appear to be two types.  Models that are also sold in America, which are all huge, and special Japanese models which are tiny.
Here is a photo of Bre and the second bicycle that Olga gave us.  It is maroon in color with flowers painted on the chain guard.  Bre has agreed to let it be mine.  It has a bell that works and a light to see at night.  The light is powered by a little wheel attached to a tiny generator that runs along the side of the front tire, so it gets brighter the faster I go.
 I took this photo in case you have an image of Japan as the kind of place where everyone is trying to blend in.  They have a saying that "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down".  This guy's Ferrari was so loud that I wonder if he is actually from Japan.
 These last two photos are of a stand of birch trees on a path home across the university campus.


Olga introduced us to another Russian, Anton who has promised to introduce me to the owner of an English school.  Anton was quite funny.  He was an eye doctor in Russia, and he explained to me that it is all fun and games until someone puts an eye out. (ba-dum dum cheee!)


That's all for now.

-Kyle (and Bre)

3 comments:

  1. Wow--you are getting settled and meeting people so fast, good job! Olga is a great asset, isn't she? And really sweet, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle
    That car looks like a toy clown car next to you! Great pics! Thanks!
    M

    ReplyDelete