Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Night

This photo series was taken this night during the regular walk into school.  I notice that I am photographing the same places over and over.   I will have to go somewhere new soon.  The first photo is the Seico mart, or as they call it here Seicomarto.  It is the closest convenience store to our apartment.  In the old days when I had a car I wouldn't care about which convenience store is closest, but I notice it more now that I am walking.

If you want to learn another Japanese word I learned that the tree we call Elm is called Elmö here in Japan.  In fact there are many words here that I recognize that have a vowel added to the end of them.  You could probably get by just saying the English word and adding an u or ö to the end of each word.


 This photo is from the muddy shortcut to the University through the fields.  The impressive thing is this guy is riding in the dark, snow, and mud, and his bike is not close to being a mountain bike.


 These last two photos are of the pond by Bre's office.  It was freezing over as I was taking the photos.

Tomorrow is a holiday here.  It has been described to me as a national labor thanksgiving day.  I think this is basically a labor day.  There is no American Thanksgiving going on here.  Bre and I will have to do something special for Thursday.  On Friday we have a plan to go with Bre's friends and co-workers to the German Christmas Market in Odori Park.  Roasted chestnuts, Brats, and mulled wine.  Sounds good to me!

That's all for now,

Kyle (and Bre)

3 comments:

  1. We're going to Mereya and BJ's, Dad is coming and Val. I often read this blog to Dad when I have dinner him. He enjoys it almost as much as I do.

    Sending love,
    Mom/Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting to see life in the snow without all the things we (especially the we in California) think we can't survive without -- snow tires, mountain bike tires, special clothes... driving slow...

    For a long time our Thanksgiving dinner was hot boiled Dungeness crab and artichokes (special California treats). Lemon butter and soy/lemon/sesame oil dip on the table, and lots of "French" bread (from the Italian bakeries). Maybe there's a special seasonal meal with Japanese goodies waiting for you to find it.


    m

    ReplyDelete